I have several 1790s garments in my costume closet but I had worn all of them several times and was in the mood for something new. So I decided to whip up a new round gown on Friday night for the Sunday event.
I had just the right kind of fabric on hand as well!
|Plum colored hand block printed Indian cotton. Buy some here!|
I've had it for a while actually, it's one of the Indian block prints I got in bulk last summer for sale in my shop. I've always liked it but somehow no one else seems to favour it because I only ever sold one dress length of it. Perhaps it's because it's not light and airy like many people think regency fabrics should be. It's a dark plum ground printed with a green and maroon floral pattern. But in fact this sort of colour scheme was pretty common in the late 18th and early 19th century, it's not all dainty white gowns they wore! Anyway I had 3 dress lengths of the stuff and decided to make one into a gown for myself so people could see how the fabric looks in action. Well that and I actually like the fabric...
I used the same pattern I drafted a while back for Erin's round gown, and the thing went together without a hitch, only took me a couple of hours on Friday night and Saturday.
|I wore it with my new 18th century stays underneath instead of my regency short stays, I like the shape it gave me..|
|and I love the full skirts of the 1790's|
(these shoes are getting their own post btw).