Thursday, January 10, 2013

Costuming Plans 2013

I have grand plans for 2013. But due to my business going so well lately I fear I will have less time for personal sewing. I'm already nearly booked out for commissions till April at which point I will stop taking commissions until August to be able to build up store stock for the Jane Austen Festival in Kentucky.

 But comissions asside I have a couple of things I would really like to make this year.

To start with, I got an extra bonnet kit from Lydia Fast when I took her bonnet making workshop last November. It's a bucket poke style which was very popular in the earlier part of the Regency period. I'm dreaming of  making it in a fresh spring green and trim it with this lovely cream and pink ribbon I've been saving for a special project.
1804 bucket poke


pretty striped ribbon
Then of course I need a new wardrobe for the Jane Austen Festival in Louisville. I plan to sport my Lydia Fast bonnets so I will need some matching day gowns. Not sure what I will wear with the bucket poke, perhaps something flowing and drapey Greek inspired for an early 1800's look. I have a lovely white voile with yellow swiss dots in the stash which may make a pretty summer dress worn with a green petticoat.


1802
Something like this with the sheer voile as the overdress and the petticoat peeking out on the bottom.

   
I also really like this wrap style with the sheer overdress
                                                                                               
But I'm not entirely decided on that. I may make something completely different.
The outfit I plan to wear with my blue bonnet however is already all planned out. I got the fabric at last years Jane Fest. It's a lovely wedgewood blue and cream colored cotton print.



i plan to make a short sleeved 18teens dress with rows of ruffles on the hem. I also plan to make a nice set of undersleeves and a chemisette. to be worn with that gown.

                                                    
1538
I'm thinking about something like this but with ruffles at the hem instead of tucks



I got a super yummy sheer cotton fabric with a narrow stripe woven in for that purpose at New Boston last year. I also plan to buy some nice stiff cotton organdy and make  a ruff to add to the chemisette.

Super fine cotton fabric for the chemisette and under sleeves

I think it will be super frilly and ridiculous, but that's what I'm going for!
 As for my ballgown for Jane fest I have that all planned out as well! I've got this amazing smokey blue sary with beaded embroidery that I bought to wear to my friends wedding in India. After It has served it's original purpose I plan to cut it up to make a dress.

The ornate end of my sari. doesn't the bead work look very Napoleonic?

 I think it  will make a superb french empire ballgown. Perhaps I'll add one of those fantastic Josephine collars to it we'll see.
1116
I like this bodice style
http://media-cache-ec4.pinterest.com/upload/550705860653890640_ggPuCpoo_c.jpg
And I love those big lace collars!
                                                       


As for non Jane fest projects I hope to be able to finally make some long stays for myself. I started working on a pattern last year but got sidetracked. I've now been commissioned to make a set for a friend and I bought  the mantua maker regency stays pattern to make hers so perhaps I'll be lazy and use that pattern instead of fiddeling with the one I started last year.

Regency long stays
                                     

I would aslo like to finally do some 18th century sewing. I was planning on making a jacket and petticoat least year.The fabric has just been laguishing in my stash for years now. Perhaps I'll get around to it this year.

A typical 18th century jacket and petticoat.
My jacket fabric. The petticoat will be  made from navy blue linen.


Another possible project is a short gown. i got some cute floral fabric for cheap and i think it would make a nice short gown. i can always use some lower class clothes for impressions  at woodville.

                           
Got this fabric for $3 a yard at Wal Mart!
 

Period Impressions Short own pattern illustration.

I happen to have the same fabri in brown as well and i have enough for a whole dress so perhaps i'll make  a work dress from the brown fabric.

And they had more of the $3 fabric in brown ,so I had to get it!
                            
1804-14 dress
Maybe something like this dress with a drop  front..
                                      
I really need some more outerwear and I have some really nice cashmere wool that I've been hoarding. It is unfortunately a somewhat unflattering color.


My cashmere fabric.

                                                   
 I think I will make it into a fur trimmed pelisse . The camel color would look really nice with a darker brown fur.
526
I must have this fur trimmed pelisse!
Then there's this red wool cloak I have been lusting after for months now. I got some medium weight wool on sale a while back, it's sitting in my stash waiting to be turned into a pretty short cloak.


Late 18th century cloak


I also have some more red wool that I plan to make a spencer out of ,but I have a feeling that's not going to happen any time soon.
Knowing myself and  with all the sewing I have to do for others I probably won't get around to most of the things on my list. As for my current projects. I'm making a blouse and petticoat to wear with a that sari for my Indian friends wedding!

My finished sari blouse

I'm going on a trip to India next week. So I won't be posting for probably the rest of the month. But I promise a huge post about my adventures in India upon my return. Let's hope my camera doesn't get stolen again like it did in Prague.


No comments:

Post a Comment